30 Self-Love Journaling Prompts for More Joy
You know this: the most important relationship you’ll ever have is the one you have with yourself.
But when did you last check in with that relationship? *Yikes*. We’ve all been there. It’s wayyyy too easy to let that relationship fall to the bottom of your to-do list.
Here’s the thing though:
Your self-love needs to be a priority. Because it impacts your entire life.
When you love yourself, you make better choices. Your choices bring you more joy. You know what makes you feel good, and take action to bring those things into your life (knowing that you more than deserve them). And you say no to the things that bring you harm, confident that they don’t deserve a place in your life.
Sounds pretty sweet, right? Here’s how to bring more self-love into your life, with a month of self-love journaling prompts.
What is self-love journaling?
Self-love journaling is the practice of using journaling to build a better relationship with yourself.
Using self-love journaling prompts, you dig deeper to discover (and overcome) the obstacles that are holding you back from loving yourself.
The aim? Soak up the freedoms that come from self-love, so you can live a life that feels good.
The science of self-love
The world’s currently in a self-love crisis. And it’s a tad scary.
Research from The Body Shop revealed that the average score on their Self Love Index was just 53 out of 100. Meaning that almost 1 in 2 people around the world experience more self-doubt than self-love.
54% of the people they interviewed said they often act happy just to please others, even if they don’t feel happy inside.
But the benefits of self-love are clear to see. Ness Labs report that the evidence-based benefits of self-love include:
- Better mental health
- More self-acceptance
- Higher self-esteem
- More motivation
- Stronger determination
- Increased self-awareness
- Less anxiety
- Better sleep
Now, that’s something worth pursuing.
What you need to journal for self-love
- Your journal - a lined journal is probably your best pick here. You’ll want something that’s easy to write in, with the flexibility to structure the pages as you wish. Try and choose a journal with extra thick pages so you can colour-code your journaling prompts to your heart’s content 💕
- A good pen - you’re going to be doing a good amount of writing, so pick a pen that’s comfy to use for long periods of time. The more colours, the better!
Self-love journaling prompts
What if you set yourself a self-love journaling challenge?
You’ll find 30 self-love journaling prompts below. From learning to improve your self-talk, to discovering your inner strengths and giving yourself what you need, there’s a lot of juicy stuff to explore.
Turn it into a fun journaling challenge. Choose one prompt from the list below to answer each day. Then, at the end of the 30 days, check in and see how you feel 🥰
- What does self-love mean to you?
- What causes you to berate yourself? Why? How can you change this?
- What’s your self-talk like right now? If you were speaking to yourself with love, what would you say instead?
- What’s the best compliment you can give yourself?
- Are you holding any guilt or resentment towards yourself? Where does this stem from? How can you forgive yourself?
- What emotions are you experiencing right now? How can you accept those emotions?
- When was the last time you felt your self-love wobble? What causes this?
- What’s the biggest mistake you’ve ever made? What would happen if you forgave yourself?
- What lies are you telling yourself? What are the truths? Write them next to each other (we love this one, thanks to these lovely folks for the inspiration)
- What’s the kindest thing you ever did for someone? How did that make you feel?
Self-love journaling prompts to improve your self-talk
Self-love journaling prompts to discover your inner strengths
- What has your body enabled you to do this week?
- What has your mind enabled you to do this week?
- What has your soul enabled you to do this week?
- Write down a time you surprised yourself. What caused this to happen?
- What makes you, you?
- What’s your favourite quality about yourself?
- How would your younger self feel about where you are today? What good things would they tell you, that you might not see?
- What’s the most challenging thing you’ve ever experienced? What strengths and skills got you through? What did you discover about yourself along the way?
Self-love journaling prompts to give yourself what you need
- What makes you feel good about yourself?
- Who makes you feel good about yourself?
- How can you celebrate yourself today?
- What are you working towards right now? Does it feel realistic? What would you change if you acted from a place of self-love?
- What are you craving in your life at the moment? How can you give that to yourself?
- What would happen if you said “no” the next time you were asked to do something that didn’t have you feeling joy?
- What do you need to feel love for yourself?
- What is making self-love feel unachievable for you? How can you change this?
- What would you change in your life if you loved yourself? In your physical space? Your mental space? Your relationships?
- What are three ways you can treat your body with love each day?
- How could you bring some self-love moments into your daily routine? For example, Morning Pages
- What is your dream day? When can you next give that to yourself?
Wow, there’s a lot of love in this post! Be sure to save these prompts for later, so you can come back and work on your self-love. Bit by bit.
Journal with a community. Join the Weekly Spread.
Your weekly journaling companion:
❤️ Weekly content from the wider journaling community
🤓 Links to articles and videos of journaling tips and tricks
💬 Interviews with people from the community
📖 More of the Yop & Tom content you love
💰 10% off your first order
And every month we pick a subscriber from the previous month to win a FREE journal of their choice. Just because.